Align Earth, Sun & Milky Way: Date Revealed

• Thread starter osirisisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Year
In summary: The sun is in the center of the picture, and the Earth is at the bottom. The plane of the ecliptic is inclined about 63 degrees to the plane of the galaxy, so the center of the galaxy isn't at one of the nodes. The center of our galaxy is in the constellation Sagittarius. So if you want to know when it's closest to the sun, just look at a star wheel or use other means to determine what time of year Sagittarius is on the meridian at midnight or noon.
osirisisis
what day this year will the Earth sun and center of our gallaxy be lined up?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Never, the plane of the ecliptic is inclined about 63 degrees to the plane of the galaxy and the center of the galaxy is not at one of the nodes, therefore they will never be in a straight line.

The center of our galaxy is in the constellation Sagattarius. So if you want to know when it comes closest, just get a star wheel, or use other means to determine what time of year Sagattarius is on the meridian at midnight or noon.

Well Giving that the top and bottom replys are true and that the 63 degrees difference doesn't count for much due to the size difference between the Earth and sun vs the sun and the center then where in sagattarius is the center? Would that be if the center of the gallaxy is in the center of sagattarius and why the meridian. I'm not a student and I don't have a star wheel. Will some one bring the question up to one of there teachers and find the andswer out for me. I will be very thankful for that help

There are a number of shareware planetarium programs out there, but according to Starry Night (it also has a shareware version), the galactic center makes its closest pass to the sun on about December 20 -- at about 6 degrees of separation.

thx bro for the help

can U give me a link where I can down load that star share wear program?

Hmmm - looks like the trial of Starry Night isn't offered anymore. But I found this via google: http://www.maa.mhn.de/Tools/tools.html Some are pretty old, though. You could just google "planetarium software download" or "planetarium software shareware"

Last edited by a moderator:
How do we know that when the sun makes its closes pass that the Earth will also be lined up

Because we're looking at the sun from earth.

Draw yourself a top-down picture...

1. What is the significance of aligning the Earth, Sun, and Milky Way?

The alignment of the Earth, Sun, and Milky Way is a rare and significant event that occurs once every 26,000 years. It marks the completion of a full precession cycle, where the Earth's axis completes one full rotation around the center of the Milky Way.

2. When will this alignment occur?

The exact date of the Earth, Sun, and Milky Way alignment is difficult to determine, but it is estimated to occur around the year 2060. This date may vary slightly due to the complexities of the Earth's precession cycle.

3. How does this alignment affect us on Earth?

The alignment of the Earth, Sun, and Milky Way is mostly a symbolic event and does not have any significant physical effects on our planet. However, some believe that it may bring about a period of spiritual awakening and consciousness evolution.

4. Can we see this alignment from Earth?

Yes, the alignment of the Earth, Sun, and Milky Way can be seen from Earth. However, it is not a visible phenomenon as the alignment occurs in the invisible plane of the Milky Way's ecliptic.

5. How is this alignment determined?

The alignment of the Earth, Sun, and Milky Way is determined by tracking the Earth's precession cycle, which is the gradual change in the orientation of the Earth's axis. This cycle is caused by the gravitational pull of the Sun and Moon on the Earth's equatorial bulge.